If you are into the study of excellence and success you will no doubt have come across at least mentions of the science of NLP. After its beginnings in the 70’s many books have been written on the subject and companies have been formed dedicated to its study, development and practice.
NLP the new technology is a book written by the group NLP Comprehensive which comprises some of the foremost experts in the science.
The book gives an overview of the most practical aspects of NLP and is heavily peppered with activities and exercises for the reader so that they can not only learn about NLP but experience its benefits first hand.
NLP the new technology takes us through what is according to NLP, the steps to success. It begins by looking at motivation, then moving to values, goals and life mission, after which you look at the power of communicating effectively, disabling disempowering memories, overcoming phobias and other obstacles, creating a positive mental attitude, gaining self esteem and much more.
The book then ends with a 21 day step by step action plan that incorporates everything you have learned in the book, designed to give you maximum personal results in the shortest possible period of time.
The most important distinctions I got from NLP The New Technology were:
– The ability we have to change the way we feel, or have felt about any event of our lives within minutes, moving us from fear to power.
– That if one person can do something anyone can do it. Success is transferable.
– An improved ability to visualize. Some key distinctions here allowed me to picture things more clearly and affect my emotional state more quickly and more profoundly.
– The 6 elements of a positive mental attitude (derived from athletes who have successfully overcome injury to return to their sport.)
– Instant phobia cures! Ones that you can use on yourself or someone else.
– Timelines – how you can literally change your past from within your mind.
– Representational systems – Focusing on what is your primary model of interpreting the world for improved communication, visualization and more.
– Goal planning – visualizing the journey and letting your unconscious mind fill in the steps for you.
The book is 335 pages so not a dramatically long or intense read but to get the most value from it you will really need to take a few days and do each of the mental exercises in their entirety. If you do there is A LOT for you to gain.
If you are not familiar with NLP you will find it a little difficult at first to do the visualization exercises but this will become easier as you go through the book. Make sure you stick with it!
While it does provide in depth information this book is, relative to the field of NLP, somewhat brief, and it will likely inspire further study into the subject. If you are looking at NLP The New Technology for personal and professional effectiveness you will be more than happy with what you find here.